- B.A. Carleton College, Northfield, MN
- M.D. University of Chicago, Chicago, IL
- M.S. Informatics, University of Missouri, Columbia, MO
- Residency, Anatomic and Clinical Pathology, Dartmouth Medical School, Hanover, NH
- National Library of Medicine Post-Doctoral Fellowship in Biomedical and Health Informatics, Dept. of Health Management and Informatics, University of Missouri
- Anatomic and Clinical Pathology; Cytopathology; Hematopathology
- American Board of Pathology Clinical Informatics
Academic Appointments & Affiliations
- 2013 – Present: Medical Director, OneHealth Biorepository
- 2010 – Present: MU Informatics Institute
- 2007 – Present: Research Assistant Professor of Pathology and Anatomical Sciences, University of Missouri School of Medicine
- 2004 – 2007: National Library of Medicine Post-Doctoral Fellow in Biomedical Informatics, NLM Biomedical and Health Informatics Research Training Grant, University of Missouri, Columbia, MO
- 1978 – 2004: Pathologist, Boyce and Bynum Pathology Laboratories Inc., Columbia, MO
- 1976 – 1978: Associate Pathologist, Pathology Labs Inc., Lancaster, NH
- 1972 – 1976: Anatomic and Clinical Pathology Residency, Dartmouth Medical School
- 1970 – 1972: Medical Residency, University of Oregon School of Medicine (not completed)
- 1969 – 1970: Rotating Internship, University of Oregon School of Medicine
o Dr. Arthur’s research is focused on understanding the epigenetic role of non-coding RNAs (ncRNAs) in the pathogenesis of acute lymphoblastic leukemia through the computational analysis of next-generation sequencing data provided by Dr. Kristen Taylor. This data contains extensive, high-dimensional information about the genomic locations and amount of DNA methylation present in this malignancy versus normal lymphoblasts. The central importance of ncRNAs in the regulation of the expression of genes at times and amounts appropriate for proper cellular development and function has only recently been recognized. The elucidation of the molecular mechanisms enabling these ncRNA functions promises to provide significant insights into the classification and treatment of this and other diseases. In particular, it is conceivable that the informatics studies of Dr. Arthur will identify specific sequences within ncRNA genes and expressed RNA that may serve as therapeutic targets for antisense oligonucleotides and other nanomedical reagents.
- Pathology informatics
- Computational biology
- Popescu M and Arthur J. OntoQuest: A Physcian Decision Support System Based on Ontological Queries of the Hospital Database. American Medical Informatics Association Annual Symposium, November, 2006.
- Sjahputera O, Keller JM, Davis JW, Taylor KH, Rahmatpanah F, Shi H, Anderson DT, Blisard SN, Luke RH, Popescu M, Arthur GL, Caldwell CW.Relational analysis of CpG islands methylation and gene expression in human lymphomas using possibilistic C-means clustering and modified cluster fuzzy density. IEEE/ACM Trans Comput Biol Bioinform. 2007 Apr-Jun;4(2):176-89.
- Taylor KH, Pena-Hernandez KE, Davis JW, Arthur GL, Duff DJ, Shi H, Rahmatpanah FB, Sjahputera O, Caldwell CW. Large-scale CpG methylation analysis identifies novel candidate genes and reveals methylation hotspots in acute lymphoblastic leukemia. Cancer Res. 2007 Mar 15;67(6):2617-25.
- Pena-Hernandez KE, Mahamaneerat WK, Kobayashi T, Shyu CR, Arthur GL, Caldwell CW. Mapping Biomedical Literature with WNT Signaling Pathway. American Medical Informatics Association Annual Symposium, Nov 6,2008:1089.
- Bennett LB, Schnabel JL, Kelchen JM, Taylor KH, Guo J, Arthur GL, Papageorgio CN, Shi H, Caldwell CW. DNA hypermethylation accompanied by transcriptional repression in follicular lymphoma. Genes Chromosomes Cancer 2009 Sep:48(9):828-41.
- Arthur GL, Popescu M, Gong Y, Caldwell CW. A Fuzzy Logic-based Decision Support System for the Pathologic Diagnosis of Small B-cell Lymphomas. American Medical Informatics Association Annual Symposium, Nov, 2009.
- Rahmatpanah FB, Carstens S, Hooshmand SI, Welsh EC, Sjahputera O, Taylor KH, Bennett LB, Shi H, Davis JW, Arthur GL, Shanafelt TD, Kay NE, Wooldridge JE, Caldwell DW. Large-scale analysis of DNA methylation in chronic lymphocytic leukemia. 2009 Epigenomics 1(1): 39-61.
- Bryan JN, Jabbes M, Berent LM, Arthur GL, Taylor KH, Rissetto KC, Henry CJ, Rahmatpanah F, Rankin WV, Villamil JA, Lewis MR, Caldwell CW. Hypermethylation of the DLC1 CpG island does not alter gene expression in canine lymphoma. 2009 BMC Genetics 10:73.
- Bennett LB, Taylor KH, Arthur GL, Rahmatpanah FB, Hooshmand SI and Caldwell CW. Epigenetic regulation of WNT signaling in chronic lymphocytic leukemia. 2010 Epigenomics 2(1):53-70.
- Mihail Popescu, Gerald Arthur, Farahnaz Rahmatpanah, Ozy Sjahputera, Huidong Shi and Charles W. Caldwell. A minimum classification error framework suitable for multicriteria gene selection: discovery of differentially methylated genes in small B-cell lymphomas. 2010. Int. J. Comput. Intelligence in Bioinformatics and Systems Biology, Vol. 1, No. 3, 274-296.
- Arthur GL, Taylor KH, Bennett LB and Caldwell CW. Computational analysis of restriction enzyme recognition sites in the research design process. American Medical Informatics Association Summit on Translational Bioinformatics, March 2010.
- Chang JF, Arthur G, Shyu C. Mining Syntactic Structure in Biomedical Literature for Validation and Discovery of Interactions in the Wnt Signaling Pathway. American Medical Informatics Association Annual Symposium, Washington, D.C., Nov 2010.
- Shin D, Arthur G, Shyu CR. An Entropy Based Probabilistic Framework to Optimize Immunohistochemical Studies in Digital Pathology Setting. American Medical Informatics Association Annual Symposium, Washington, D.C., Nov 2010 p1255.
- Han JG, Shin D, Arthur G, Shyu CR. Multi-Resolution Tile-Based Follicle Detection using Color and Textural Information of Follicular Lymphoma IHC Slides. IEEE International Conference on Bioinformatics & Biomedicine, Hong Kong, China, December 2010.
- Can promoter methylation in peripheral blood cells predict the development of cancer? Arthur GL, Caldwell CW. Epigenomics. 2011 Apr:3 (2):141-2.
- Methylation of CD44 as a candidate biomarker in lymphomas. Arthur GL, Caldwell CW. Epigenomics. 2011 Apr;3(2):142-3.
- DNA hypomethylation in a spectrum of plasma cell disorders. Arthur GL, Caldwell CW. Epigenomics. 2011 Apr;3(2):143-4.
- Dmitriy Shin, Gerald Arthur, Charles Caldwell, Mihail Popescu, Marius Petruc, Alberto Diaz-Arias, Chi- Ren Shyu. A pathologist-in-the-loop IHC antibody test selection using the entropy-based probabilistic method. J Pathol Inform, Feb 2012;3:1.
- Pei L, Choi JH, Liu J, Lee EJ, McCarthy B, Wilson JM, Speir E, Awan F, Tae H, Arthur G, Schnabel JL, Taylor KH, Wang X, Xu D, Ding HF, Munn DH, Caldwell C, Shi H. Genome-wide DNA methylation analysis reveals novel epigenetic changes in chronic lymphocytic leukemia. Epigenetics, 2012 Jun 1;7(6).
- Jia-Fu Chang, Mihail Popescu, Gerald L. Arthur. Automated extraction of precise protein expression patterns in lymphoma by text mining abstracts of immunohistochemical studies. J Pathol Inform, July 2013, 4:20
- Shin D, Arthur G, Popescu M, Korkin D, Shyu C-R. Uncovering influence links in molecular knowledge networks to streamline personalized medicine. Journal of Biomedical Informatics, 52:394-405, 2014.
- Chuck Caldwell, Ajit Zambre, Dhanajay Suresh, Gerald Arthur, and Raghuraman Kannan. Personalized Diagnostics: Receptor Specific Gold Nanorods as Immunohistochemical Agents for Accurate Diagnosis of EFGR Expression in Human tumor tissues. American Association for Cancer Research Annual Meeting, April 2014, Philadelphia, PA.
- Almamun M, Levinson BT, Gater ST, Schnabel RD, Arthur GL, Davis JW, Taylor KH. Genome-wide DNA methylation analysis in precursor B-cells. Epigenetics, 9(12):1588-95, 2014
- Almamun M, Levinson BT, van Swaay AC, Johnson NT, McKay SD, Arthur GL, Davis JW, Taylor KH. Integrated methylome and transcriptome analysis reveals novel regulatory elements in pediatric acute lymphoblastic leukemia. Epigenetics. 10(9):882-90, 2015